It’s been 4 years since singer Adele released her last album 21. She is now back with her new single “Hello” and her love interest in the newly released video is the handsome actor and singer Tristan Paul Mack Wilds (Mack Wilds). So how did Tristan guest starring in the video come about? Check out the director’s response and the video below. Also, find out a few facts about the multi-talented artist.
The video’s director, Xavier Dolan, told Billboard the reason why he chose Tristan Wilds as the singer’s ex-love interest:
Because I like him. I was wondering what he was doing. I hadn’t seen him in a while. I know he’s on a couple of shows in the United States but I for one hadn’t seen him in a while and have always loved him and saw that he would be a great match.
During his interview with Entertainment Weekly, he said that the process of casting wasn’t difficult or lengthy:
…I thought he was right. We connected through Skype and he was lovely. Right away, it clicked and I sent his references and photos to Adele and she liked him.
7 Facts about Tristan Wilds
1. Music is his first love.
“He wanted to follow his father and his grandfather [who were singers],” says Wilds’ mom Monique Moncion. “He can sing. It’s not Auto-Tune.”
His father, Paul Ivory Wilds, a barber on Richmond Road, said he wasn’t surprised by his son’s choice to pursue a music career.
“Singing is his first love. He fell into the acting thing. It’s new to everybody else, but this is what he wanted to do,” the proud pop says. – NY Daily News (2013)
2. He was nominated for a BET award for Best New Artist in 2014.
3. He received his first Grammy nomination in 2014 for Best Urban Contemporary Album for New York: A Love Story which he released in 2013. He lost to Rihanna’s Unapologetic.
4. He is of African-American, Dominican, and Irish descent. Tristan’s father is African-American. His maternal grandmother is Dominican and his maternal grandfather is Black and Irish.
In a 2014 interview with Hot 97, Wilds discusses spending time with his family for his birthday, his identity, speaking Spanish, and his first album. Skip to 8:27 – 11:27.
5. His independent nature comes from his mom.
His mom…gave him money for a MetroCard and professional headshots to get started. “She always made sure we were super independent,” says Wilds. “She’d say, ‘If you make it, it’s your fault. If you fail, it’s your fault.’” – Vibe Magazine (2014)
6. He is known for his roles in the HBO original drama series The Wire, 90210, Red Tails and The Secret Life of Bees.
7. He will star in VH1’s new hip-hop drama The Breaks.
VH1’s newest original movie, The Breaks, will chronicle the journey of Nikki, David, and Deevee, three friends united by their love of hip-hop, as they work to make their big mark in the music industry. The film will travel viewers back to the Summer of 1990 in New York City where the music industry’s artists and hustlers intersect in the dance clubs and the street corners of the still crime-ridden city. – VH1
Take a sneak peak below of the film, which will be released this winter.
Watch Tristan Wilds in his music video “Own It” from 2013.
Latest posts by Raquel & Rebecca (see all)
- Why We Love Summer In Chicago + Peek Into Our Beauty Bag! - May 12, 2017
- Meet Raquel & Rebecca, the Sister Duo Behind BoriquaChicks.com - May 7, 2017
- PHOTO RECAP: BoriquaChicks.com 5-Year Anniversary Celebration - December 9, 2015