Every once in a while my girlfriends and I crack jokes about the kinds of direct messages we get on social media. They are so hilarious; so I thought, ‘Why not write about it?’ But not only write about it, give some tips for those people who enjoy sending sketchy DMs.
My inbox is sacred, so keep the following 4 tips in mind before you try to creep in it:
- If I don’t really know you, you have never liked my post, reposted in a gesture of support, never spoke to me in public…but you have the liquid courage to ease on in my inbox…I’m going to be suspicious.
- Some people may be cool with it, but most people I know prefer that you don’t send business pitches via social media.
- State your intentions upfront. Communicate what you want. Don’t beat around the bush via 10 random messages.
- Know that no message is really private. We probably have mutual friends, so always remember that I can screenshot your message and pass it around. I actually have a few in my gallery right now.
Now that I’ve provided a few tips, check out 5 examples you shouldn’t do when entering the DM zone.
1. Send a blank message with an emoji face. 🙂
I like emojis and use them, but why are you sending me one through Facebook? No words, just a photo? Am I supposed to respond with an emoji? Is that communication for hello? If so, I’m good.
2. Ask someone how was their day and how they are doing, but you don’t know them.
Look, we all have friends on social media that we went to school with, friends of friends, etc., but we also have those random connections that we don’t really know. In those instances, why are you randomly messaging me asking how I’m doing? Um, fine. I guess.
3. Proposition someone for business.
Can we take this conversation to email? Ask for my email address please. I had someone message me for a day straight after I told her I wasn’t interested at all. It got to the point I had to stop answering.
4. Boldly flirt but your social media page is filled with photos of your significant other.
Has that happened to you? Um, we see you posting photos with bae every week, so why are you in my inbox? Just saying. Do you really think I’m going to take you seriously? Nope.
5. Reach out to your ex online in the hope of rekindling that old romance.
Obviously, you’re an ex for a reason. So unless I summon for you, stay out my message box.
Check out these funny memes below.
Have you experienced someone trying to creep into your DM or are you the creeper? Drop a comment below or tweet us at @BoriquaChicks!
Latest posts by Raquel (see all)
- Meet Elza, Latinx Multidisciplinary Artist & Instructor - February 4, 2019
- Meet Kleaver Cruz, Founder of The Black Joy Project - October 8, 2018
- Things You Shouldn’t Say or Do When Your Friend is Going Through A Divorce - October 1, 2018