This post was sponsored by the Illinois Treasurer’s I-Cash program. All opinions are my own.
Over the summer I took some time to clean and purge my living space. As I decluttered my home, I shredded old documents and I also gave away clothing and accessory items to my local thrift store. While cleaning out one old purse, I found a $20 bill. Yes, I know it’s just $20, but it truly made my day! I had the biggest smile when I found this cash. Who doesn’t love an unexpected gift of recovering lost or forgotten money?
The feeling of finding money you didn’t expect to receive is incredible. It’s like sending yourself a special present on one day, then opening it at the perfect moment at a later date.
Since I’m on the topic of discovering money, if you are an Illinois resident, there is something you need to know about right now. There is a simple, free and easy way to recover cash that belongs to you…and it doesn’t involve digging in your couch or an old bag. The Illinois Treasurer is safeguarding more than $2.5 billion in recovered cash for Illinois residents to claim through its website and he wants to return it.
This is an easy and safe way to reclaim both cash and property that belongs to you. It’s fast and free to discover and claim what’s yours at IllinoisTreasurer.gov/ICASH. This is a confidential process where the average paid claim is $2,900, and most individuals receive a check within about four weeks of submitting their signed claim form and authentication of ownership.
Steps to take to discover your unclaimed assets in I-Cash:
- Visit IllinoisTreasurer.gov/ICASH and click on the “Get Started” link. Then, enter your name and city in the search fields to find out if you have property to claim.
- Identify your properties and provide your contact information online.
- Within minutes, I-Cash will email you a claim form to sign and mail along with proof of ownership to claim your assets.
- Mail back your signed claim form and ownership proof, and you will receive your cash within weeks.
- Check back every six months because hundreds of thousands of new properties are added to the Illinois Treasurer’s I-Cash program throughout each year.
Unclaimed property can come from a variety of sources:
- The Illinois Treasurer’s Office secures unclaimed property from banks, insurance companies, utilities, and other institutions across the country that have been unable to return it to their rightful owners.
- Some common examples of unclaimed property include: inactive bank accounts, unclaimed life insurance benefits, utility refunds, stocks, matured CD’s and other investments.
- Under the law, the Illinois Treasurer is legally required to hold property until it is claimed by the owner or heir, no matter how long that takes.
- Most unclaimed property belongs to individuals, but the Illinois Treasurer’s Office also returns millions of dollars each year to nonprofits, small businesses, corporations and government entities.
Make sure to check the site today to search for any unclaimed assets that belong to you and your family and friends. You never know what may be waiting for you. Just imagine what you could do with this unexpected treasure.
What would you do with money and/or property that you recovered? Leave a comment below.
Latest posts by Rebecca (see all)
- My Top 5 Essential Items for A Successful Road Trip - November 2, 2018
- Meet Yajaira De La Espada, Afro-Latinx Author & Teacher - October 15, 2018
- Where Have You Been, Boriqua Chicks? - September 4, 2018