We love summertime in Chicago (summertime CHI)! Why? It’s the warm weather, genuinely happy people who are grateful for sunshine and the awesome things we can do during one of the most anticipated seasons in our city. Boriqua Chicks finds happiness from just chilling out at a festival with our friends to rocking out on a rooftop listening to Hip-Hop, Afrobeats and Neo-soul by our favorite Chicago DJ Joe Kollege. We enjoy meeting new people with good vibes and we love to look stylish when we’re out. Gotta give a good face right?
Check out our top 4 things we ❤ to do in Chicago during the summer and the cool look Raquel will be rocking!
1) Watch a movie in the park. Grab a blanket, wine, some snacks and watch a film on the big screen with friends or a date…for free. See schedule here. Below is the listing for Queen of Katwe at the DuSable Museum.
Movies in the Parks at DuSable Museum
Movie: Queen of Katwe
June 17, 2017 from 8:30 PM – 10:34 PM
5531 S. Martin Luther King Dr.
Location Notes: Movie showing in the sunken lawn behind the DuSable Museum.
2) Check out a music &/or food festival. Chicago knows how to fest baby! In the summer there are numerous festivals around the city that celebrate food, music, and culture. Below are just a few.
Chosen Few Picnic: House Music Festival – Chicago is known for House Music, a sound that encompasses “elements of disco, Euro dance music, rock and drum machines.” This special music event celebrates our city’s rich musical history and culture.
Saturday, July 1 – Sunday, July 2, 2017
Taste of WVON – This family event is known as the “fastest growing festival on Chicago’s Southside!”
Saturday, July 15, 2017 (free admission)
Fiesta Boricua – This annual celebration of Puerto Rican pride takes place “De Bandera a Bandera” on Division Street (between Western and California).
Labor Day Weekend (free admission)
3) Dance the night away. This annual outdoor live music and dance series allows participants to experience dance lessons and live performances with Chicago as the backdrop. See the Chicago SummerDance schedule here. Below is the listing for the Bomba presentation.
Bomba con Buya (Bomba)
July 13, 2017 from 6-9pm
Ivelisse Diaz with La Escuelita Bombera de Corazon (Bomba)
Part of Chicago SummerDance in the Parks
Humboldt Park Boathouse
1301 N. Sacramento Ave.
4) Vibing on the Rooftop. Chicago is known as the Windy City. Many restaurants and bars have rooftops where guests can enjoy music, adult beverages, and a cool breeze from the lake. Below is an upcoming event for The Promontory, a Southside rooftop location we frequent, where our friend of the blog DJ Joe Kollege is a resident DJ.
Check out Raquel’s fresh look for this summer using 3 beauty products from Mary Kay!
Glistening Horizon Eye Color Palette – I used this palette on my eyes and the color definitely made them pop.
Magenta Ray Glossy Lip Oil – I don’t usually wear bright colors, I tend to gravitate toward dark matte colors, but I was in awe with this beautiful glossy magenta color on my lips.
Luminous Mauve Nail Lacquer – Love, love, love this soft nail color on my hands and toes. It complements a cool summer beauty look.
While enjoying Chicity, why not listen to Chicago artist Kanye West’s “Good Life”?!
We hope you enjoyed stepping into Raquel’s beauty bag and at the same time finding some dope things to do in our city this summer. What are some of your favorite things to do in your city during the summer? Tweet us at @BoriquaChicks.
Disclaimer: Occasionally we receive free beauty products and samples; however, the views and opinions expressed in this blog post are purely our own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
👕 ☀️ Get the #AfroLatinasRock tee
for your summer wardrobe!
Check it out here!
Latest posts by Raquel & Rebecca (see all)
- Why We Love Summer In Chicago + Peek Into Our Beauty Bag! - May 12, 2017
- Meet Raquel & Rebecca, the Sister Duo Behind BoriquaChicks.com - May 7, 2017
- PHOTO RECAP: BoriquaChicks.com 5-Year Anniversary Celebration - December 9, 2015